BOŽIDAR BOKI MILOŠEVIĆ
OPEN CLARINET LESSONS
YOU ASK – MR BOKI MILOŠEVIĆ ANSWERS / No. 4
Branko from Belgrade asks Boki:
– What should a clarinetist master and do to become an accomplished performer of folk music like you?
Boki Milošević answers:
– First and foremost, the clarinetist should have cultivated tone, and this can only be done with hard work. All the clarinetists up to me, who played folk music, were mostly uneducated and had uncultivated tone. I did not accept this way of interpretation of folk music, but I was the first one to introduce educated, academic tone in Yugoslav folk music.
Here’s what one clarinetist should do on a daily basis, if one wants to become accomplished:
1. Sustain tones with crescendo and decrescendo, because it forms muscles around mouth (embouchure), which are able to endure long playing and create the most subtle dynamic nuances. Here’s how I do it:
2. Exercising staccato, because not everything can be played legato.
4. Practicing the thirds, fourths and fifths:
Boki is ready and glad to answer to any question!
Best regards to all!